Mar 19, 2010

Inspiration: Newspaper Blackout Poems

I was surfing the net the other day and I found this writer, Austin Kleon. He writes poetry without actually writing it. He gets a newspaper, uses a black marker to cancel out the words he doesn't want to use. It's a redaction method to writing. He posted videos on his website (Click here) An example of his work is below:


This one's called machines and memories. I think this is interesting, it reminds me of the film a beautiful mind (it's a must-see!) where John Nash tried to find hidden codes in Newspapers. In doing this you tend to find your own meaning, what words you think are important.

I was inspired by his work and decided to come up with mine as well.

Title: My Life
This one's called: Classic and Race.


It's interesting what you can come up with. You should try it. My question to you is do you think this is art? People may argue it's not because it's something the writer didn't create. What do you think?

No comments: